ARO Holds Inaugural Day of Action with GrowNYC
On October 15th, 2021, ARO held its first annual Day of Action to connect with New York City community groups, and to support their important work with our labor and time. The full office volunteered our in-person and remote time and labor with GrowNYC, a local nonprofit working to secure a clean and healthy environment for future generations of New Yorkers. We volunteered in person at their Governor’s Island Teaching Garden, a one-acre urban farm where NYC students learn to plant, water, harvest, and cook the garden’s wide array of vegetables, herbs, and fruits. Remote employees helped GrowNYC read grant applications from community groups across the city for publicly accessible gardens.
- Contributed over 80 hours of volunteer time
- Cleared out a mugwort infestation from plant beds, walking paths, and a long stretch of the main road
- Moved 100 sand bags to help protect plantings for the winter season
- Reviewed 6 applications for new community gardens across the city
- Deconstructed and rebuilt 1 bench
Read more about ARO’s actions and initiatives.